Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Invincible Iron Man #11

Fraction checks in with some old Iron Man friends and foes in this one, with appearances from Henry Hellrung from The Order and War Machine. He also has a chilling scene with the Controller that came out of nowhere, but effectively so. I have no idea where that story with Maria Hill and the Controller is going, but there is a lot of potential there. I'm hoping we haven't seen the last of Hellrung too, as he's a neat character. I did kind of dig Tony's new look here, since his stache and curly hair were kind of definitive, it is easy to see how effective his current disguise could be. The confrontation with War Machine was pretty neat, although I hated seeing the Sean Chen-designed suit doing so badly in the fight. I don't have high hopes for the upcoming appearance of my favorite armor (the Silver Centurion). I'm really enjoying this storyline. With Osborne as such an effective antagonist, I really have the feeling that Tony is always 2 steps back and that he's going to have to plan for everything in order to win this one. I came onto Iron Man back during the first Armor Wars, and the battle with Firepower gave me the same feeling. If the hero is measured by his villains, then Stark is still the top dog in the Marvel U.

Salvador LaRocca's photo-style works well this issue, particularly on the Maria Hill scenes. When she jumps the fence and again with the Controller reveal, the art really set the mood. I'm not too fond of the armor design for Pepper Potts, but I'm not engaged in that story too much yet either. There is potential there.

Good

No comments: