Tuesday, March 10, 2009

War of Kings #1

Raise your hand if you are surprised that I loved Abnett & Lanning's newest star-spanning series. No one? Good. I honestly can't believe I'm loving a book starring the Inhumans like this. Marvel's cosmic corner has morphed into a tremendously interesting place these days, with X-Men and Inhumans adding to neat folks like Ronan the Accuser and the Shi'ar Imperial Guard. The Guard looked absolutely devastating here. Their attack on the Kree was so efficient, the series protagonists ended up looking like bozos. I hoped Black Bolt and Ronan would get some moves in, since they get some play as always ready for action, but they got blasted pretty badly too. This fits all the necessary beats of an opening chapter, we've got bit players like Mentor getting speaking roles. We've got Gladiator offering his POV followed by his ruthlessness in combat. But most importantly, the good guys seem genuinely out-matched at this point. The Imperial Guard is a copy of the Legion of Super-Heroes, but bad, and that is one formidable group to try and take out. I can't wait to see where the series goes, because you know Black Bolt is going to serve some revenge to that punk Vulcan. The Skrulls messed with the wrong guy, and now the Shi'ar will be in the same boat. I'm also excited to see where the Guardians fit in to all of this. That issue ships this week though, so I won't have to wait long. I can't imagine waiting for the trade on this. (I grabbed the Ron Lim variant, of course.)

Paul Pelletier's pencils are tremendous. He draws clear, colorful action that mixes emotion and drama perfectly. He remains one of my favorite pencillers.

Excellent

No comments: