Monday, March 23, 2009

Super-Zombies #1

Wow. I have no idea what I just read. I understand the concept of starting a story in media res, but man, if you are going to know that, I need to know the players, you know? These are all new characters fighting other all new characters. Some of whom might be zombies, but I can't really tell from the art. Are all the heroes in this issue zombies? The flashbacks confused me, I couldn't tell when some pages took place if they didn't have something clearly cluing me in on when it was happening. Again, I get the feeling that Guggenheim and Gonzales were going for, things are moving fast, there are a lot of established relationships, etc. But I have absolutely no idea what happened in this issue! There is just way too much happening here, no point of view characters for the reader to identify with. Heck, I don't even know if there are any main characters? I should have a better concept of what the book is about after reading issue 1 of a 6 part series. I mean, I like super-heroes. Even the obscure new ones like Joe Phillips' Heretic, or Jonathan Peterson's Strikeback. I love zombies. But I don't like this.

Mel Rubi's art is nice in some pin-upy type shots, but his storytelling was pretty confusing. The designs for the heroes vary wildly, some seemed cool, while others were 90s-Image at its worst.

Poor

No comments: