Friday, March 27, 2009

Guardians of the Galaxy #12

There we go, Guardians is back on the right track. DnA bring things back around in this issue, giving lots of the stuff we want from our Guardians. We get the return of TWO classic characters, the further development of Phyla into her own as a hero, and a great swerve at the end with Maelstrom and his boss. I almost can forgive issue 11 since the payoff to the story was so nice. I don't think it is a secret that Quasar returns in this issue, and I'm thrilled to see him. DnA are repopulating the Marvel Cosmic U with all so many characters, I think we're going to need at least one more space-book! Heck, isn't Darkhawk being elevated by them in the upcoming Ascension book? I loved how DnA had Quasar make multiple references to his history with Maelstrom, especially the arm-chopping. I remember reading that as a kid and being grossed out and disturbed by that. I'm looking forward to the book refocusing on War of Kings next issue, it should be great. This is the best book Marvel is publishing, and I honestly can't believe how much I'm loving the great mix of Marvel history (like Quasar, Project Pegasus, and Jack Flagg) and cutting edge new ideas (like Cosmo, War of Kings, and Groot!). Actually, now that I think about it, DnA sure like Mark Gruenwald's work don't they? Maybe it isn't so surprising that I love their books...

Wes Craig's art is inconsistent, with some pages looking fantastic, and others looking oddly cartoony. Overall, the book is fine. Craig does do a great job selling the big reveal on the last page.

Good

No comments: