Sunday, March 22, 2009

Seven Block: An Experiment in Horror (1990)

I picked this up since I'm such a huge Chuck Dixon fan, but I had never heard of it. Turns out there is a reason for that. It's a pretty generic little story of experimentation on a couple of inmates and their "evolution" into super-men. This is the type of origin that we've seen before in many, many comics, and frankly would probably not get more than a page or two normally. It seems this story is set in a realistic world with no powers, so I can understand why the extra time is spent on fairly mundane material, but it is hardly riveting. The cover blurb advertises an experiment in horror, but there was very little actually scary in this one. I was kind of surprised there wasn't more to the story. This might have even turned more entertaining if there was more to the story, but it didn't seem to be continued anywhere anyway. This kind of holds up my opinion of much of the Eclipse line: it just isn't worth seeking out.

Jorge Zaffino has a scratchy style that works well in a horror story, but he doesn't get too many opportunities to scare. The one money shot of the most deformed experiment is so blurry and dark I couldn't get much more than a vibe of tentacles and grossness, not much actual fear for me.

Average

No comments: