Tuesday, March 10, 2009

R.E.B.E.L.S. #1

I'm a pretty big fan of Tony Bedard's writing, and his best work was his Negation series from Crossgen, so I had some high hopes for this book. It ended up being ok, but just ok. I read the original L.E.G.I.O.N. and R.E.B.E.L.S. books so I really dug the old characters and interactions in that title. Starting this off with just Dox didn't have me quite as hooked as those old issues did. I also found it odd that the main villains here were a couple of bounty hunters that no one without a degree in DCU Space would even recognize. There is very little background given for them and I'm not sure I care, even with me recognizing their races. I'll be sticking with the book for a few issues, since I do have high hopes that things will pick up when Dox actually has folks to interact with, but for now, I was not tremendously impressed.

Andy Clarke's art, however, was top notch. The book looked fantastic, I can't believe I haven't seen this guy before. He goes a tad happy with the crosshatching, but his detail is awesome. He actually raises the rating a grade for me.

Fair

No comments: