Monday, March 2, 2009

G.I. Joe: Origins #1

Ahh, Larry Hama. I love that you will always tell me what Will Pete means (white phosphorous) and mention the makes and models of firearms in use. GI Joe comics were my first favorites back in 1986 and I still love them now. Even this Origins title that stars Duke, Scarlett, Stalker, and Snake Eyes is great, and none of those guys are my favorites. There is a neat origin for a villain here too, with the masked crazy killing tons of ATF folks to earn his bad-assedness. I can't remember if this book will feature Cobra or not, so I'm wondering if this is a new origin for Zartan or Cobra Commander? It doesn't matter, since this feels like the GI Joe world-building we only had time to glimpse at in the old volumes, and I'm loving what we get so far. I am a little puzzled at the time spent developing the veteran driver who picks up Duke and Scarlet, only to have her go out like that, but there may be more to the story. I'm also enjoying the love triangle being set up with Snake, Scarlett, and Duke. Make Snake Eyes work for something! Hawk is a lot tougher than I remember too, but I'm liking the deal of he and Stalker being the original officers running the team.

Tom Feister's art gets the job done, and while nothing shines, nothing is too shabby either.

Good

No comments: