Sunday, April 5, 2009

Wolverine: Origins #34

I enjoy a good X-Men scrap as much as the next guy, so that's probably why I kind of dug this issue. Cyclops swoops in to handle Wolverine's business, and wants to take out Daken. It seems Daken's presence on the New Avengers is not ok with Cyke, so he's coming to call with Colossus, Nightcrawler, Cannonball, and Armor. At first I didn't like the oddball team, especially Armor, being chosen for a mission like this, but the more I think about it, the more ok with it I am. It felt like the old days of the X-Men, with them fielding whatever team they could from whoever was around the mansion at that time. This mish-mash team does about as well as you'd expect in a Wolverine book, with Daken mopping the floor with the entire group. Cyclops came off more of a wimp trying to seem tough here, which is a little different than how he appears in most of the other X-books these days. Wolverine doesn't actually get involved again until the end of the issue when he shows up to confront Daken, but that won't be resolved until next issue. This issue focused on the X-Men fight, and was ok for what it was. I still find Daken to be kind of laughable, so that definitely colors my feelings about the book, but I've felt this way for awhile. Origins is at best a Fair book for me, and that's when Daniel Way handles Daken about as well as he can.

I do like seeing Doug Braithwaite on art, and using his non-painted style. He does good action sequences, and I liked how he drew Cannonball and Colossus. His under-mask for Cyclops was interesting too.

Fair

No comments: