Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Deadpool: Suicide King #1


Man, I've read a lot of Deadpool books recently, all using the multiple voices Daniel Way-inspired take on DP. I'm not sure I like it any more when Mike Benson uses it here, but at least the hallucinations are out. Deadpool is once again betrayed by the guy hiring him and is now a man on the run, framed for an act of terror. I'm intrigued by the use of Tombstone since he has little to no experience with DP, at least that I've read. I think they could make very good arch enemies. I will say I'm getting annoyed with how often DP is betrayed by his employers. I honestly can't remember the last time the "merc with a mouth" actually was a successful merc, it seems like everyone betrays him and tries to kill him. He can't be considered to high a professional if everyone keeps on treating him like this! The last splash page promises the Punisher showing up net month, but I'm not sure I really care too much. If you love DP, this has more of what you like of him, but I feel like I've read this story 4 times in the last few months. I don't see what this title is bringing that the other one-shots and ongoing series don't.

Carlo Barberi draws in the same style as most DP material these days, but it is just too cartoony for me. This is a hardened mercenary who kills people, I'm not sure why all the DP projects have this crazy cartoon style art. Reilly Brown had a cartoony but still gritty style on Cable & Deadpool, I'd love to see more from him on DP now.

Average

No comments: