Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Teen Titans #69


I must give credit where it is due, this was a very fun issue of Teen Titans. Membership drives are usually pretty entertaining, and this one was no exception. It is neat getting to see a bunch of new faces interact with the normal cast, and I really liked that here. McKeever has to bump out possible new members pretty quickly, but I think he does a good job giving most of them reasons to go. Some of the kids from the Dark Side club just want to go home, some have other teams, and some don't fit in with the Titans. So the Titans are left with a pretty stellar group of new members in Aquagirl, Kid Eternity, and best of all, Static. I was pleasantly suprised at how much I enjoyed Aquagirl in this. At this point, she's a pleasant reminder of a DCU I really enjoyed. I found the Face to be pretty hilarious too, especially how he hung around wanting to join the team after they kicked him out. He had numerous funny lines, and I'm happy he won me over (even though he looks ridiculous). Of course, then he gets pasted by a "mystery assailant" at the end of the issue, so we won't see him again after all. We expect our deaths in DCU books, so I guess we can check that box here. Another pleasant surprise was how the team is really starting to feel like a family at this point. The relationships between Miss Martian, Kid Devil, and Blue Beetle in particular are a lot of fun. Bombshell is another fantastic character that I'm glad is sticking around. One question, why is Sean McKeever credited with "Original Story" instead of being listed as writer? Quite odd...

Allan Goldman has a nice style that picks right up from regular penciller Joe Bennett. Everyone looked right and again, I was pleased at how much I liked Aquagirl.

Good

2 comments:

Ian from Westfields said...

Battlestar Timbotronica,
McKeever confirmed he's off TT for "creative differences". He is staying on with the Rose Wilson co-feature.

Who knows what credits will look like from here on out.

Timbotron said...

Makes sense. Just when I'm coming around on the lineup too! Bad timing for me...