Thursday, April 16, 2009

Battlefields: Dear Billy #1-3


Garth Ennis, you bastard. No one can write more moving war comics than Ennis and he does it again here. Carrie and Billy's story ends logically, I'll give it that. This series is fantastic and a worthy descendant of the War Stories Ennis penned for DC a few years ago. I never know if the facts in these are adapted truths or if Ennis is making things up, but either way he does a fantastic job. I'll be grabbing this trade for certain. The story has wartime action, interpersonal drama, humor, and of course moments of crushing heartbreak too. I won't go into detail since this is at heart a simple story, and I don't want to ruin it. But if you've been steering clear of these Dynamite Battlefields books, make an exception. This is a fantastic genre story by a man who seems to understand it better than anyone else. I honestly can't believe this is the same guy who write The Boys.

Peter Snejbjerg's art has an emotional resonance on every page. The difficult subject matter could be wrecked by a less skilled artist, but in Snejbjerg's hands this is a story that will stay with you for a long time.

Excellent

No comments: