Friday, April 10, 2009

Hulk: Broken Worlds #1


I'm not quite the target audience for this one, since out of the 4 stories involved, I only read 2 of the source adventures. I hadn't read the House of M version of Hulk, but I'm not exactly sure how that story could continue, since it got re-made at the conclusion of House of M. I didn't think it was an actual Earth like the Watcher can view. The actual story was fine for a short story though. Clayton Henry's art looked absolutely fantastic here. I hope to see more of him in other books using this style.

The Roy Thomas & Herb Trimpe story with Jarella didn't make a whole lot of sense to me either, since I've never read the era of Hulk that it is based on. I think Thomas was counting a little too much on people being familiar with a story from 20+ years ago. I could enjoy it as a nice little adventure story where Hulk fights monsters though! And Jarella seemed like a pretty neat character, but I'm not sure I understand if she is actually alive or not. She is dead, right? It was great seeing Trimpe's art again, I wish he'd do more modern books.

I couldn't read the third story because of the odd computery artwork. I'm not even sure what it is based on. Looking back I see it is based on Hulk 2099. I don't know anything about that.

The Maestro follow up made the most sense to me, as I'm familiar with the source material in Hulk: Future Imperfect. I enjoyed seeing Peter David revisit that world and handle just a little bit of world building as the shows how the removal of the Maestro establishes a new status quo for that particular future. The art was clear and close enough in style to George Perez that everyone looked right, which was nice. The crux of the story was a nice little coincidence that would be too cute for an ongoing book, but is just right for a quick one-off story.

Two fairs, a good, and a poor = an overall grade of Fair

No comments: