Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Mighty Avengers #22

This issue was fine, but I admit I had super-high hopes for it. After constructing some great personality conflicts last issue, this is a much more standard issue of the Avengers. Our oddball team heads into Mt. Wundagore to face off against Modred the Mystic while Quicksilver/Cthon zips around the world causing problems. There are some nice character bits in this one too, as US Agent gets to act like a jerk and mock Pym a little bit. Pym also seems to have... ah... mounted Jocasta at one point and put something in her, and that is all a little odd. I did enjoy the Iron Man/Hulk fight, especially because of how it ends. I'm unclear on what is going on with the Scarlet Witch, but at this point I'll take just about anything that redeems her and gets her back into circulation. No need to deal with that Disassembled stuff more than necessary, I say. I really enjoyed the use of Quicksilver for the recap. It seems we are solidly back into heroic Quicksilver territory here, and I'm fine with that. I'm hoping he finds his way onto the permanent team after things settle down in this arc. I also think both Iron Man and Pym need to stick around, but we'll see.

Khoi Pham's art is fine here. The action looks good, but things remain a tad sketchy. I did like his take on US Agent.

Good

No comments: