Monday, February 9, 2009

Booster Gold #16

Dan Jurgens' story about the Egyption dagger is proving to be another excuse to give Booster a tour through time. I'm ok with it, but I'm not really feeling any real danger or driving story elements in this book. Booster is fun to watch as he bumbles around, but without Rip Hunter to act as the enforcer for the story rules, I'm not sure how long people will come back. Enemy Ace guest-stars in this issue and is a neat enough guy, although I'm not sure he'd really help Booster out quite that much. That would be treason, and I can't see the Ace going quite that far for his conscience.

I'm also not sure how I feel about the mind-erasing ray that the Time Sphere can now blast. It's a lot like the Men in Black mind-pens, I suppose. It does mean that Booster can be featured in stories with just about anyone, who then has their mind-wiped so that it isn't a continuity problem, but isn't mind-wiping the foundation of a fairly big story recently? Like, where we established it was almost the most evil thing you can do? In any case, the biggest issue with this book right now is that it is just kind of there, wandering around without a central storyline.

The art is typical Jurgens. Clear storytelling with sometimes limited backgrounds (but mud in WWI is a simple thing, I suppose).

Fair

No comments: