Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Tangent: Superman's Reign #9

I can't really make myself care about this book at all. I actually bought all the Tangent books back in the day, but I can't remember any of the characters, and none of htem have really stepped up to become interesting leads in this series. The main players in this issue are Superman, Power Girl, and Guy Gardner, and you'd think that would be entertaining, but it really isn't. This issue is almost all filler as Tangent Superman tries to force New Earth's leaders into following him. They don't like the idea and argue for too many pages. Then the JLA-headliners blow up jets as they try to get to the aircraft carrier where the leaders are being held. Guy Gardner comments about how bored he is fighting the jets, and I agree with him. The whole sequence is just boring. Eventually they get a nuke to the face, but I'm reasonably sure there will be no fallout (ding!) to such a big cliffhanger. This series has shown flashes of being interesting, but it is way, way too long.

Carlos Magno handles the art, and he does ok, but I think his stuff was best when he could spend lots of time on Mary Marvel's huge assets in Countdown. He just doesn't seem as interested here.

Average

No comments: