Monday, December 1, 2008

Ambush Bug: Year None #4

Keith Giffen and Robert Loren Fleming serve up more of the same type of hijinks as the previous issues, except with more Dan DiDio bashing! I do like some of the more pointed jokes, like why it's ok to skip reading Countdown. The one-off pages are amusing too, most especially the dramatic scene with Wicker Bug and Wicker Sue (from the pages of 52!) The Ambush Bug Revenge Squad is pretty pointedly making fun of obsessive readers, a pet peeve I've seen Giffen write about before, and yet I can't help but notice that those same fans are the ones who would be picking up this series.

Giffen's art changes as the story demands. Of course my favorites are those scenes he draws in the style of his 5-year later Legion. But the switching styles work well for comedic purposes here. His Jann Jones in manga style is particularly amusing. Overall, this is for the hardcore DC nerd though, and that's just not me anymore.

Average

1 comment:

Always Right said...

Are there that many DC nerds around to justify a in joke comic? Marvel has more, but I don't hear that many people shouting Make Mine DC.