Friday, December 12, 2008

Reign in Hell #5

I've read a lot of comics. So it is really saying something for me to admit I have no idea what's going on in a comic. I've read every issue of Reign in Hell so far, and I have no clue what 1/2 the dialog is about. Pretty much everything Neron or Satannus says I don't get, and the only characters I do understand are the heroes who don't know what's going on. It seems that Blue Devil has reduced Etrigan to being a little demon, who then tore out BD's "human" soul. I'm not sure what that is about, but it seems Etrigan is avoiding Lobo. Lobo is on a rampage to find Neron, but when he spots Zatara's hell-bound soul, he beheads him. Zatanna gets upset by this and sends his essence to the abyss rather than the renderers. Meanwhile, Black Alice's powers have changed and she thinks someone in Hell is responsible. The backup story details Dr. Occult's dead wife's travails as she's been in Purgatory for years. In short, there is a ton going on, and I don't much understand. I think the part that makes me the angriest is that so many good characters (Zauriel, Ibis, Shadowpact, Etrigan, Lobo) are all being dragged into this chaotic story. I'm reasonably sure this will all be blown over soon though, so there is that.

Derenick's art is still solid, and Hell looks pretty good. I just don't understand what's going on in that location!

Average

No comments: