Monday, December 29, 2008

Jack of Fables vol 3: The Bad Prince TPB

I like this book, but it is really isn't as good as Fables. With each Fables trade, I'm pulled back into the story instantly, but when I read this I found myself a bit confused. I had totally forgotten the Lady Luck story from the first trade, and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to remember more about Mr. Revise than I do. Mr. Revise and the Golden Boughs "retirement home" for fables is involved, but not as much as in the last stories. This book spends a lot of time showing what Revise can do. Jack of Fables is in fact a copy of Wicked John, his lookalike from Golden Boughs. Wicked John climbed the Beanstalk and many of the other stories we remember featuring Jack. But Revise has changed the story and put Jack in place. It is all a bit on the metaphysical side and kind of hard to understand exactly what is happening. The good news is our faithful narrator is in the same boat. He barely understands whats happening around him either. I am surprised I enjoyed this story as much as I did, considering most of it takes place on a riverbank. I'll need to read the next trade faster so I remember what is going on. Oh, the Halloween interlude issue was very strong and provides a great example of the short-sightedness we expect from Jack.

Tony Akins ' art is fine, but again, is not quite as good as Mark Buckingham on Fables.

Fair

No comments: