Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Conan the Cimmerian #5

I'm finding myself much more interested in the flashbacks featuring Connacht than the main Conan story. It might be the excellent artwork by Richard Corben, but I think I also like the unpredictable nature of the flashbacks. Connacht's adventures could lead him anywhere, and we really don't know what is going to happen. I feel like I know how Conan is going to respond to most everything in the ongoing story. It's weird, Tim Truman has really upped the ante on the weird stuff that I usually love, but I just haven't been able to get into his Conan as a character. He does have a good antagonist this issue, where Conan actually seems threatened for a moment. When Conan eventually bests him, the villain asks of Conan"Do not leave me like this. Send me to Ymir a man." Conan obliges with a quick chop of his sword. A nice moment of respect between foes.

Corben's art in the flashback is stellar. Connacht's escape from the slave ship looks great. The detail on the dying slaves and then on the slave-master were tremendous. Corben's textured pencils are unlike anything else on the stands. The flashback art raises the value of the whole comic. I may pick up the trade on this one. It's that close to being a Good.

Fair

No comments: