Friday, December 26, 2008

Batman & the Outsiders: The Chrysalis TPB

This book is fine, I guess. I know too much about the editorial problems with this book, and it affected my review. Chuck Dixon could have had something really special with the original lineup, keeping Catwoman and Martian Manhunter on the team. Metamorpho is pretty interesting and Batman is always fun, but I'm not a huge fan of anyone else on the team. In fact, this whole book has such a changing lineup things aren't really decided at the end of the trade. Green Arrow and the Dibneys just joined in the last issue! This trade only covers 5 issues, so the Jardin story doesn't really feel resolved, but I understand there is another trade coming that should finish the story. I will say this trade scratched one itch I always have with Chuck Dixon's writing, he used some of his pet villains, Gunhawk and Gunbunny. I love how I can always count on Dixon using his own characters (I think Camarouge shows up too). I don't think he made up Militia though, I think he was a Beau Davis character. Another thing I like about Dixon is how he writes plot-based stories. He really can plug in just about anyone to his stories and they're always good.

Julian Lopez's art is really good througout. His Green Arrow looks awesome, and he even makes the conehead Martian Manhunter look almost ok. The book is high-action, and he handles that nicely too.

Fair

No comments: