Sunday, December 7, 2008

Final Crisis: Resist #1

I'm kind of torn on this one. While I did enjoy it, especially the cool use of Cheetah and Mr. Terrific, this comic did also feature OMACs, which usually means an automatic fail. So I guess I'll mark it down as a pleasant surprise. The issue shows the last remnants of Checkmate (Mr. Terrific, Snapper Carr, Thinker, and Taleb Beni Khalid) as they try to fight back at Darkseid's takeover while trapped in a bunker at a Checkmate installation. I did enjoy the super-quick turnaround as the anti-life equation rippled through the ranks of the Checkmate operatives. Things seem really desperate at this point. I loved Cheetah hooking up with Snapper, that was a fun little pairing, and she's a neat character to have hanging out with the heroes of Final Crisis. I am a bit curious how the other DCU books will reflect the anti-meta particles in the air that shut down Snapper though, that seems pretty freaking powerful. I also don't really understand what is going on with the OMACs. Are they going to go back to killing metas? Or do they answer to Mr. Terrific? I was pretty unclear on exactly how that will shake out. I'm also wondering if we will ever see any repercussion of Mr. Terrific loosing all that malicious AI out into the DCU. Probably not, since Checkmate is cancelled. This is the way to wrap up that title though, not with the Chimera weirdness.

Why the heck don't we see more out of Ryan Sook? He's a great artist, and his work in this issue is stellar. His turned heroes look horrifying when viewed out of the bunker, and I also liked his take on Cheetah. Her facial expressions practically oozed personality.

Good

1 comment:

Captain Nigel said...

I was surprised how much I liked Snapper Carr in this. What a cool supporting caster to pick as the focal point. He reminded me of how much I loved Popinjay in the Wild Card series.

These two one-shots have cemented my love for this story's concept. I'm still not sure how "Evil Won" so quickly, especially considering the number of times Darkseid has tried to do much worse than mind-control, but I do love how handily beaten the forces of good are. Always easier to root for underdogs!