Friday, May 8, 2009

War Machine #5


War Machine and his crew finally figure out how to take down the Ultimo-infected humans, but of course it messes up Rhodey even more. What's interesting is that they resolve the conflict about halfway through the issue, leaving the rest for some housekeeping. Osborn seems almost decent here, wanting to reward Rhodey's team for their work in stopping this threat. Of course, he just wants to cover it all up, but it is still interesting seeing what kind of boss Osborn is going to be in Dark Reign. I'm still finding that the most interesting thing in this comic is the interaction between Ares and War Machine. I love the idea that Ares is so fond of Rhodey that he actually considers him his champion. It makes sense and it is such an interesting relationship, yet one that makes perfect sense in the comic book world. I'm worried about the status quo going forward though, with Team War Machine heading to America. I'm not sure I like the idea of bringing that team directly against Osborn and HAMMER, because we all know that a 2nd-tier book like this won't be the one to bring about big changes to the Marvel U status quo. I don't want to spend too much time wrapped up in that story.

Leo Manco's art looks really great, but his War Machine still doesn't look "Iron Man-y" enough for me. He's either 1/2 jet or human in an exo-suit or whatever. I want my black and silver Iron Man, darn it! Manco does do a great job with the supporting cast though, the facial expressions are fantastic. He also handles the flashbacks to Rhodes' childhood well too, which is nice to see. I'm very interested in seeing Rhodey's Philly past, so I'm happy it looks so good.

Fair

No comments: