Saturday, May 30, 2009

Guardians of the Galaxy #14

Ok, we're all sure that Warlock is really Magus now, right? As the battle between Vulcan and Warlock heats up this issue, Warlock starts to turn purple. I didn't see the white hair, but I've got to figure that Magus is on the team and Warlock is really still in his cocoon. I'm a little disappointed in that, actually, since this is the most I've ever liked the character. He's usually so darn boring, but in this volume of Guardians he's been pretty likable and cool. DnA's use of the Imperial Guard is fun too. There is no mention of what Gladiator has been up to, but with him gone it seems Mentor II is in charge of the Guard. I can't help but like the Imperial Guard, and when they showed up I found myself rooting for them a little bit.

The B-story of Starlord's team trying to talk the Inhumans out of fighting was a bit weird. Phyla seems to have gone off the deep end. She repeatedly sabotages the peace talks and won't back down when the team calls her on it. I did like Bug's attempt at diplomacy too. I love the use of him as a charmer who can't help but comment on Medusa's -tik - eyes.

Brad Walker is the perfect artist for this book. He mixes the normal humans and aliens wonderfully. His Inhumans were spot-on, especially Medusa who looked beautiful and regal. I'm not sure I care for Jack Flagg's new mask, but that is a small complaint.

Good

1 comment:

Jeremy said...

Great review! What you said about Magus and Warlock makes sense, and I think it would be a cool twist. Abnett and Lanning have done a nearly perfect job on this title!