Friday, May 29, 2009

Avengers: The Initiative #24

It is hard to review books that are solid every single month. Christos Gage wraps up the last of the straggling plotlines from the first incarnation of the series. It's Norman Osborn's world now. I'm loving the awkward relationship that the instructor-heroes have with Osborn. The Gauntlet is a good guy trying to follow orders, but it has got to be clear to him that Osborn is scum. It will really shake things up next issue when Taskmaster is placed in charge. I can't wait.

I thought it was interesting how Typhoid Mary was written out so quickly. I actually liked her as a heroic character and especially as part of the Shadow Initiative. The whole SI was a neat concept that I'm sad to see go, although I suppose Taskmaster may keep it around. Bengal and Constrictor are still on the table. The reunion between Ant-Man and Taskmaster was wonderful. Those two bozos really seem like friends at this point. Their back and forth banter during the fight was fun. The Hydra arc wrapped up a lot of folks: Komodo is back in action, Scorpion returns to comic-limbo, and Hardball is off to 42. So I guess Hardball will be joining the Guardians of the Galaxy soon, right? I'm really curious to see how this book will function going forward, and I'm confident it will be good.

Humberto Ramos' pencils... wait a minute. Am I imagining it or did Ramos sneak a little something in on Typhoid Mary?

Good

No comments: