Monday, May 18, 2009

All-New Savage She-Hulk #2

She-Hulk's butt is going to fight a green chick!

Huh. That didn't go down like I hoped it would. I had really been expecting this series to have more Jennifer Walters She-Hulk in it, but she gets kind of punked out pretty quick. I enjoyed the fight while it lasted, especially because Jen does pretty well before she's uncermoniously tossed out of the battle (and the story, it seems) by the Sentry. I do like the little touches Fred Van Lente uses here, especially the couple who are so annoyed at the fight that has interrupted their lunch.

The book diverges with another flashforward to the battle of the sexes-era of the new She-Hulk's alternate future. I always like post-apocalyptic futures, but this one is only ok. I do like the idea of super-powers being sold, but why is Jocasta the one selling them? I'm not sure how the super-sales location relates to the cradle-base either. It is almost like two cool ideas smashed together so we can see both with one quick hit. I did like that all the hero-saint worshipping tribes have each chosen a totem character from the Dark Avengers. It might be putting a little too much emphasis on what will probably be a brief era in Marvel history, but it is an interesting choice.

Back in the present, She-Hulk II starts chatting with Sentry, and declares that she is looking for the world's greatest hero, Norman Osborn. Oh well, maybe Jen will be involved again next issue.

Peter Vale's art is really quite striking, I like it. I'm not as big a fan of Michael Ryan's flash-forwards, but he gets the point across.

Average

No comments: