Monday, May 25, 2009

Thunderbolts #132

Well, back on track that fast. After two sub-par (but still decent) issues of Thunderbolts, Andy Diggle is right back in the groove with the newest issue. This was a great interim issue, showing some downtime for the team before they head out to recruit their newest member. I love the interaction of the "regular" guys on the team (Ant-Man, Headsman, and Paladin) and we get some nice development from the Ghost too. The weird might-be friendship between Ghost and Headsman could develop into something really neat. Ghost may end up being my favorite member of this team now. I love that his paranoia seems to be justified, he seems to be the only member of the team that realizes how Osborn thinks of them.

The rest of the issue sends the team to Madripoor to recruit Mr. X. I think Mr. X was introduced in the Frank Tieri and Sean Chen run on Wolverine a few years ago. He seems like a generic bad-ass character, and I'm not sure there is enough unique about him for me to really like him, but we'll see. It will be fun seeing how he interacts with the more "chill" members of the team.

Roberto De La Torre returns on art and suddenly everything looks right again. The moody nature of his pencils makes this shadow-operative team seem so much cooler. I absolutely love his Headsman, as I'm totally convinced he's based on Danny Trejo.

Good

No comments: