Saturday, May 16, 2009

Final Crisis Aftermath: Run #1


The big question for me is: Can Matt Sturges make me care about the Human Flame, the annoying villain who killed my favorite DC character? The answer is yes. Because the Flame is such a unrepentant jerk that there is no way to like him. He hurts or betrays everyone who crosses his path. He's a selfish idiot, and I can't wait to see him get what he deserves. There are a few heroes here when John Stewart and Firestorm show up, but for the most part, we're all villains all the time. In fact, so far, the Flame is the only meta villain in the hunt, although I expect that will change. I'm not convinced this is a story that really needs to be told, because I don't care about reading the next issue, however, Sturges is a strong enough writer to make the exercise entertaining.

Freddie Williams does a bang-up job with the Flame. He's repulsive in his hospital robe and ridiculous in his villain outfit. I do wonder if Williams drew the wrong Firestorm though. Isn't Jason Rusch black? And I'm pretty sure he's never met the Martian Manhunter too, so I don't understand why he's holding a personal grudge against the Flame.

I'm not sure I care enough to see what happens next issue due to my apathy about the main character, but at least it is well put together.

Fair

2 comments:

Ian from Westfields said...

Jason is black and he did meet Batman and J'onn in an issue where he gained access to the JLA HQ on the moon via a transporter.

It was during Infinite Crisis and most, if not everyone, was busy with loads of stuff going on but Batman and MM managed to address the intruder alert and encountered Jason, the new Firestorm, there.

They gave him some words-to-the-wise and sent him off. Jason was aw-shucksing the entire time.

Now, with his new found status as JLA backup and his graduation to big time superheroics during Infinite Crisis (he was part of Donna Troy's space team), he's itching to put the Flame to justice?

I don't know actually cause I didn't read this comic but perhaps that background info helps.

Timbotron said...

Ah, yeah, it does. I might track down that issue since I'm a big fan of J'onn and try to grab his appearances when I can.

Too bad Jason's time as a JLA member is at this time with such a weak overall roster!