Wednesday, January 14, 2009

X-Men: Kingbreaker #1

This was better than I expected. The Starjammers are fractured, Vulcan is using the Imperial Guard as footsoldiers, and the Shi'ar Empire is not popular throughout the universe. This is a pretty good setup for War of Kings from the Shi'ar point of view, and I found myself pretty interested in what was going to happen next. I can't wait to see Havok and Polaris free and causing trouble. In fact, all four of the prisoners (including Ch'od and Raja) all get some nice bad ass moments in this. Even prisoners, you get the impression they have the upper hand on their Shi'ar jailors. I still don't find Lilandra that interesting as a protagonist, but I do like Rachel Grey enough to want that team to do well too. I think this book is one or two cast members away from being really good, and I'm hoping those members might be defecting Imperial Guardsmen. War of Kings has a lot of good stuff to work with, it seems. And Vulcan is one annoying villain. I don't like his origin, which makes it even easier to hate him for the stuff he does in-story.

Dustin Weaver is a new penciller to me, but I liked his work. The Z'nox homeworld was neat, I liked the planetary defense lasers. They reminded me of some of the cooler parts of Chronicles of Riddick. That Brandon Peterson cover is hard to beat, but Weaver held up his end, the interior of the book looks good.

Fair

No comments: