Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Green Lantern #36

I'll give Johns credit, I can't believe he's really doing this whole war of light thing. I'm amused by it because it is so preposterous, but at the same time I can't look away, it is some of the more compelling stuff coming from DC right now. The Red Lanterns are "hrffing" and "grrr-ing" around their bloody planet threatening Sinestro. After all the horrible acts the Sinestro Corps has done, I'm happy to see him get roughed up like this. I can't think of anything too good for Sinestro now. Most of the issue is actually spent introducing us to Saint Walker, Ganthet, Sayd, and an Indian God who make up the new Blue Lantern corps. They seem to have the ability to supercharge GL rings, so I suppose they are sort of a support corps? There are only two of them around at this point, but Walker believes that Hal is meant to take over the Blue Corps at some point. I think it is far more likely the blues will be killed as some sort of sacrifice in a big crossover. In fact, I'm starting to think that is how most of these groups will end up. There is an interesting bit where John Stewart experiences a vision of Katma Tui, and he believes he will see her again. I have to guess she'll be a Black Lantern. If she gets resurrected, then it really will be true that the DCU is turning back the clock to pre-Crisis "classic" continuity. In an environment like that, I can't imagine many of the "next gen" characters lasting much longer.

Ivan Reis' art is solid like always. I enjoy his stuff, but I'm not sure it is worth all the delays. I don't know if those are on him or Johns, but this book needs to get more timely since it is about to drive the whole DCU publishing plan.

Fair

No comments: