Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Rann-Thanagar: Holy War #1-8

Yowza. So I guess the point of this series was to put Thanos in the DCU and make New Rann. The master plotter of the series, Synnar, goes on a tirade of galactic scale that was very reminiscent of our favorite Mad Titan, so obviously Starlin likes the Thanos type. I'm not digging the Aberrant Seven idea, as I'm afraid it ties good characters to a bad story that I'm not digging too much. That could really be said for this whole series. I like Starman, Adam Strange, Captain Comet, Hawkman, Chief Justice Max, and Starfire, but I'd much rather read about them in REBELS or another cosmic book instead of this confusing mash-up of 4 or 5 plots. Lady Styx is kind of a bystander here, which is too bad after her big intro in 52. I never felt this book lived up to the awesome potential the cast provided. I'm also not sure how I feel about the new status quo on New Rann. Lady Styx eradicated the population of Throneworld, Starman's planet, and Synnar destroyed the planet Rann. That means the heroes had to transport the Rannian population to Throneworld, which Starman graciously names "New Rann." It seems unnecessarily confusing and destructive.

Ron Lim's art is decent, but there is a lot going on. I had a hard time figuring out exactly what was happening during some of the more chaotic battle scenes. I guess the Weird's appearance at the end is supposed to be mysterious too, because I didn't know who the narrator was and whose plan was being futzed with.

Average

No comments: