Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Deadpool #6

I need to be fair to Daniel Way. I'm not happy that the entertaining Cable & Deadpool book was cancelled to make way for this title, but I have to give credit where it is due. This comic is pretty good. In fact, other than the wonked out perceptions that Way includes in his characterization of 'Pool, there is a lot to like in the book. The first story tied into the Skrull invasion, the second involved plastic surgery zombies and a new villain, and here we are moving into the third arc with my perfect recipe. We've got Deadpool vs. Tiger Shark for 2 issues, with old buddy Bob: Agent of Hydra showing up to make things complicated for the Merc with a Mouth. This is the type of story I want to see, Tiger Shark is played a little on the amusing side, but overall this is just a nice spotlight for a rarely-featured villain. I'm enjoying seeing how Deadpool is so outclassed by him too. Way has come up with some nice shots for the aquatic villain, both at a SeaWorld type aquarium and then at the end with a confrontation on a pier. I do suspect Bob may have hired Tiger Shark so that Bob could heroically rescue DP, but we'll see.

Paco Medina's art sells the cartoon world of DP well. His action is not quite as good a fit, but he tells the story cleanly.

Good

No comments: