Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Secret Invasion: War of Kings #1

I'm not a huge Inhumans fan, but my affection for the creative team and the greater overall narrative made this one exciting book. I always liked the designs of the Inhumans as Kirby originally drew them, I never cared for the Jae Lee inspired re-designs from the late 90s, so seeing those incarnations made even wonkier by Frazier Irving (who I usually like) and having that be the new status quo disappoints me. At this point, only Triton, Crystal, and Black Bolt himself are truly recognizable. Medusa has some nice costumes to pick from, but she isn't using them here. That is just window-dressing though, because the main story in this one is quite interesting. The Inhumans will no longer be the punching bags of the Marvel U, with Black Bolt leading them off the moon, then to wipe out the last of the Skrulls. He even pursues some into Shi'ar space, giving Emperor Vulcan the opportunity he needs to attempt to annex Kree Space. Well it won't be easy, because we find out just how tied into the Kree society the Inhumans are becoming. They are going to be pivotal to the upcoming War of Kings. I had underestimated how important they would be, but it looks like it will be pretty intensive. I'm not sure who I'll be rooting for in the upcoming mini, the Shi'ar or the Kree. I'll probably just stick to rooting for the Guardians of the Galaxy. This one is just about all set-up as the pieces get in place for the crossover, but its important stuff, and I think anyone planning to get War of Kings should grab this, even if it does have a stinky title referencing the wrong event.

Paul Pelletier is one of my favorite artists, this kind of high-profile cosmic story is perfect for him. It looks great.

Good

No comments: