Saturday, June 6, 2009

Teen Titans #71

Sean McKeever supposedly scripted this one, but at this point, who knows who wrote what in the Titans universe? The issue focuses on Ravager, so it would make sense that McKeever would get one last chance to write her in the main story before she's relegated to the backup. I had been really liking her character for awhile, but as she became an adrenaline-huffer in Terror Titans, I found myself liking her less and less. Now it seems the tough chick role on the Titans is going to be filled by Bombshell. Continuity-wise, I think Bombshell is easier to deal with, so I'm ok with the change. Ravager spends the issue moping around the Titans family while they weigh in on whether she should be allowed back on the team or not. It turns out Ravager is going to leave no matter what, but it seems she wanted to pass the bad-girl torch to Bombshell officially. The two team up to guard a new (to me) prisoner, but things quickly degenerate and the rest of the team has to step in. Wonder Girl ends up booting Ravage, who leaves on her cylce to headline her ongoing backup story. I'm ok with her leaving, the team has a decent lineup at this point, although I'm still not sold on Kid Eternity. Using dead characters' powers just seems like a continuity nightmare as folks he channels will no doubt be revealed to have been secretly alive later.

I'm not a big enough fan of anyone on the team to really relish these character-heavy interludes, so this was only ok for me.

Yildiray Cinar does a good job keeping things in that Titans-style. These are pretty kids and he keeps everyone looking good. I don't know if he can handle the required levels of gore though, so we'll have to see how he handles that in upcoming issues (if he's the ongoing artist, that is).

Average

No comments: