Friday, June 12, 2009

Skaar: Son of Hulk #11

I think my main problem with Skaar: Son of Hulk is that I really don't like the character or his supporting cast. In most cases, if I dig a creative team I can make myself really like the character (see Daredevil). Greg Pak has written some really good stuff, but I just don't really care about kid-Hulk. I had been hopeful after reading the Skaar prologue, but without She-Hulk or the FF to anchor me in to the story, I found myself losing interest. The Warbound show up and volunteer to stand with Skaar to the end, as they did his father, and all I could think was that they were kind of a desperate bunch of losers, desperate for someone to give their lives some deep meaning. Skaar rejects their offer since he only wants to kill the Hulkster, but even his betrayal of the Warbound left me with no one to cheer for. They'll forgive him anyway since they're so desperate for someone to boss them around.

The flashbacks to the destruction of Sakar were anti-climactic because I think it is a mistake. The savage planet was a neat new locale for the DCU, and destroying it doesn't really serve any good purpose.

Dan Panosian's art still looks nice, he does a crackerjack job drawing faces in particular. Ron Lim kicks butt when drawing cosmic destruction too. Sure, we got to see Ron Lim draw Galactus again, but that shouldn't be the highlight of a comic.

Average

No comments: