Tuesday, June 2, 2009

New Avengers #53

Thank goodness Bendis seems to have some respect for Daimon Hellstrom. Throughout the issue, Hellstrom was tremendous: bantering, insulting, and whipping up on the Hood/Dormammu. One could perhaps argue that once again, the most effective character in the book was not a New Avenger, but hey, I like Hellstrom so I'm ok with it. I do wish the team could clean up its own messes though.

The conflict with Madam Masque was only ok, since I don't know that she could hold her own for long against a team as strong as the New Avengers. It's odd that Winter Cap wants everyone to carry guns around, it doesn't seem like him. He doesn't ask Falcon or Black Widow to do that in his own title, so that bugged me a bit. I will say Bendis' dialogue does sparkle a few times. When Spider-Man attempts to put Cage at ease about Jessica Jones' crush I almost laughed out loud. Bendis does get a few of these characters really well, and Spidey is his best fit without a doubt.

I'm a little shocked at the choice of the new Sorcerer Supreme. That character will be a fine choice, I've always liked him. I don't remember him talking quite that strangely (with words like "brudder") but it is probably worth the trade off to get him more panel time. I do hope that Dr. Strange isn't bumped to comic-limbo though, surely he retains enough magical skill to me a dominant magical character...

Billy Tan's artwork is kind of uneven. While some of the Hood/Hellstrom scenes are pretty strong, much of the issue was scratchy. The silouhette fight sequence was nice in a small dose, I wouldn't want to see too much of that kind of thing.

Fair

2 comments:

Martin Gray said...

Banter from Son of Satan? That just sounds wrong. Is there any character Brian Bendis doesn't have bantering? Gah.

So who's the new Sorceror Supreme? Brudder Voodoo?

Timbotron said...

You got it! "Brudder" Voodoo actually looks kind of cool in the Dr. Strange getup, but I've had a soft spot for the Doc since the old Amazing Spider-Man cartoon, so I hope he gets to stay prominent.