Sunday, June 21, 2009

Buck Rogers #1

I know very little about Buck Rogers. I don't know about the future he lives in or the character himself. But I do know one thing, bears with backpacks and laser guns are awesome. That's why although Scott Beatty didn't really win me over on the core concept, I do have faith that he's including some cool stuff in this new sci-fi title.

It seems "Buck" Rogers is an independent-minded test pilot who has been shunted off into the future. From what we see of Buck here, it really looks like another comic featuring Hal Jordan. At the least, these two would really get along. Aside from some quick background to show how brave and independent Buck is, the rest of the issue is setup, giving us glimpses of a future world of black jumpsuits, jet packs, and laser pistols. It seems interesting enough, but until that laser-bear showed up on the last page, I wasn't sold. Now I absolutely must see what Ursinius is up to, and if he is as awesome as he seems. Perhaps a spin-off limited series?

Carlos Rafael has a nice clean style that works well with both the current and future tech. I like the design on the future-lady and her gear, and he does a nice job with faces and realistic poses. He also draws one hell of a laser bear.

Did I mention I like the bear?

comic - Fair
Laser Bear - Excellent

No comments: