Friday, June 12, 2009

Batman #687


I really shouldn't be surprised. Out of all of Judd Winick's work, I've only really liked 2 of his runs, his early Exiles and his Batman. Since he wrote a decent Batman in the past, I figured there was a chance this could be decent Unfortunately, this barely fits in with what I loved last week in Batman and Robin. In that book, Dick Grayson was confident and cool, a great new Batman. In this book he's mopey and crying while he deals with his low self-esteem. We even see him in his Nightwing uniform afraid to leave the batmobile. That's ridiculous. This comic is the successor to the type of characterization that we saw in Battle for the Cowl. At some points, Alfred has to help Grayson reign in Damian, and Alfred also has to constantly pep-talk Grayson into being Batman. Alfred's maudlin monologues are a chore to get through too. At the end, Scarecrow turns up, but even a classic Bat-bad can't catch my interest. I honestly don't know who would seek out a comic where an established character would act so differently from his heroic recent past.

Since I don't really like Ed Benes either, you could say this wasn't my dream comic. Grayson alternates between looking like an 80s pretty boy and a cro-magnon man. The text when Scarecrow appears talks about electric wires running all over Scarecrow, tying him to some explosives, but I couldn't see those in the art. There seems to be some kind of disconnect going on.

Poor

1 comment:

Linnen said...

Yeah, that book wasn't too good. it shouldn't surprise anyone that it continues the characterization of BFTC because I think it actually said on the splash page that it is a Battle for the Cowl Epilogue.

It was pretty dismal, wasn't it?