Monday, June 15, 2009

Captain America #600

This just in: I love comics. I was excited to drive out on my lunch break to check out the possible return of my favorite super-hero.

I had been certain that the big news of Cap 600 would be that Isaiah Bradley, the "black Cap" from the Truth series, would be the new Cap. I'd be fine with that, but I do love Steve Rogers. And now I couldn't be happier that Steve is returning. I am a little surprised at what a big deal people think this is, though. Writer Ed Brubaker was saying he had a plan way back around issue 25 when Cap was shot. In fact, editor Tom Brevoort said this return storyline was originally scheduled for Cap #30, a mere 5 issues after Steve was shot. It was in response to the great fan reaction of Winter Cap that Bucky got to keep the shield so long. I'm also pleased that Brevoort doesn't want to string things along until people aren't interested anymore. He's giving folks what they need, not necessarily what they want.

As to the actual issue, there is a lot to like here. The main plot development is seeing Sharon Carter remember that the gun she finished off Cap with was in fact a funky "comic" gun, which means Steve is still alive. She tracks down the gun and joins up with some of the New Avengers to start looking for Steve. We get to check in on a bunch of other folks in Cap's life, like the Red Skull gloating about what he did to Cap, 50's Cap, Isiah and Eli Bradley along with girl-Bucky, and best of all Crossbones and Sin. I loved seeing how quickly Crossbones busted loose. That guy is a bad-ass and could get out of prison any time he wanted. I loved his romantic reunion with Sin too. I can't tell you how many times my wife and I have been reunited only to have a cloud of tear-gas fill the room. There are a few backups of varying quality too, the best of which is a Mark Waid story about a Captain America auction where Tony Stark purchases Cap's original Avengers ID card.

I'm really liking the idea that so many people are moving forward in a positive manner after Cap's death, that his sacrifice affected them so much. What will happen with 50's Cap, Winter Cap, Bucky, and Patriot now? I'm hoping Steve can be a good influence after his return too, but we shall see. I absolutely can't wait for Steve and Tony Stark to see each other again. After the drama and angst of the Civil War, if these two have some kind of good reunion, it would make my day. Heck, add Thor in and get us the real Avengers again! I will float one more theory too, and that is that someone is going to be the new Nomad. My guess is 50's Cap.

The art switches as the story checks in on different characters, and it all holds together nicely. Butch Guice with the framing story and David Aja with the Crossbones & Sin story would probably take the prize, as their segments looked the strongest.

Good

5 comments:

Brian Monroe said...

Most likely he will come back and he, Stark, and Thor will sell their hate to god to forget all the bad things and return them to 1970s. Thor will be a cliche, Cap America will be boring, Stark will be drinking medicinal alcohol under a bridge. Hopefully that will make Luke Cage go back to his old outfit as well.

Always Right said...

Does this mean Cap and Bucky will get married and stuff?

Anonymous said...

Very nice review. I don't agree with bringing back Rogers as Captain America. While Brubaker's initial 25-issue run made Rogers the most interesting he has been in years, Bucky as Captain America was much more fascinating. Bucky's coming to terms with his legacy, the weight it was on his shoulders, his flaws, and the fact that he didn't have advantages of the Super Solider serum (thus necessitating the features of the cool new suit) made his a much more interesting read. I'm bummed out that, most likely, this is the end of Bucky Cap, and if that's the case, I'll be dropping the title from my pull list. Still, it was good (if short) run.

Timbotron said...

Brian: I might make that deal to put Cage back in his awesome suit.

Right: I'm pretty sure that's why Bucky had to kill Nomad when he first came back.

Julio: Surely there is room for both Caps! Even if Buck goes back to being Winter Soldier, I'm confident we are going to get a lot more story out of him.

Artillery MKV said...

I'm certain that Bucky will drop the Cap elements from his costume, but keep the costume itself and a substitute shield to keep fighting the Enemies of America (tm).

Losing the Cap mantle will allow him to pursue a darker story arc. I hope he gets a good new identity and his own title. Perhaps leading a new version of the Defenders? Or something similar.

I'd actually lay money on Buck going back to being Nomad again.