Monday, March 8, 2010

Justice League: Cry for Justice #7

So why wasn't this a Green Arrow limited series? There is no real reason for anyone except Team Arrow to be featured in this farce, and yet the entire DCU (including the Sea Devils) gets all wrapped up in a blunder like I've never seen. I'll tell you what, the DCU might want to think about registering their heroes since they made a colossal error like this. Prometheus beat every single hero in the DCU. He outsmarted them, he outprepared them, and he sealed the deal. Forget about Green Arrow planting an arrow in the guy's head, this has got to be a sobering moment for the legions of heroes who got burned.

And of course, Lian Harper got killed in the destruction. At least DC had the good sense not to show the body, it actually shocks me that they passed up the chance to show Green Arrow cradling a dead kid more clearly, but maybe I'm selling them short.

I'm honestly just stunned at this story. The heroes never accomplished anything. The new Justice League team never needed to split off, get new members, hell, they never needed to exist at all. Vixen, Black Canary, Firestorm, and more are still active on the team through this whole thing! I've got to think there was a massive disconnect between the original idea for this book and what we actually read. I mean, there is no way James Robinson of Starman fame plotted this thing out to work like this, right?

The art is remarkably consistent considering three artists all worked on this. I just can't take the story as seriously as the art would ask me to.

I mean, the whole idea about other dimensional banishment of the DCU cities? Oh yeah, that didn't work. Sorry! Guess we wasted a few pages, huh? Why did Congorilla's family get killed? Why did Batwoman show up? Why are we still seeing new players like Mia and Bulleteer this late in the book? So much of this story didn't need to happen, I just don't get it.

Poor

2 comments:

Always Right said...

This doesn't sound like I made the right choice in ordering the collected edition. Here I thought Mr. Robinson was grooving like Times Past....

Timbotron said...

No, you chose poorly. Sorry...