Monday, July 12, 2010

Hawkeye & Mockingbird #2

I knew I'd love this book, but even so, I'm impressed with Jim McCann. He's juggling a large cast like a seasoned pro here. There is plenty of time for Hawk and Mock to shine, but we're actually getting character development from Dominic Fortune, London, Twitchy, and the villains! This is way more of an ensemble book than I'd predicted, but that's not a bad thing!

I'm fascinated by Crossfire. The guy seems like such a schlub, he's a CIA inteligence analyst who decided to become a villain. He just decided to be a jerk and start killing heroes, but he really raises his stakes here. I'm not necessarily a fan of who he kills, I think there are enough orphan heroes already.

Hawkeye is such a well-meaning doofus, that's why I've always liked him so much. McCann gets that about the character. I'd bet that the era that defined H&M for me is the same as McCann. What I'd like now is to see them take on someone WAY more powerful than them and win. I always loved that Hawkeye vs. Abomination fight from Solo Avengers.

David Lopez is rocking the art. Fortune's pencil thin moustache actually looks cool. Mockingbird has... tired looking eyes is probably the best way to describe it, but it makes sense. She and Hawkeye actually look happy around each other, though, Lopez nails the comfort the two characters have around each other.

Good

No comments: