Monday, July 26, 2010

Brightest Day #6

Huh, so all Brightest Day had to do was focus on the good storylines, and suddenly the book gets a lot better! Raise your hand if you are surprised.

This issue, the focus returns to Martian Manhunter. In addition to being my favorite hero in the DCU (maybe overall) his storyline has been one of the more interesting ones. There is some sort of gross, green-Martian killer out there, and J'onn is on the trail. The plot actually moves along nicely, with J'onn finding out that something about his touch is killing "the green." I agree with the BleedingCool rumor, I think Swamp Thing is on the way. J'onn also gets to show off what a nice guy he is, as he interacts with Oracle, Superboy, and heads off to check on Miss Martian. I'm looking forward to seeing him interact with his young namesake in the next few issues.

The Deadman story is still sort of dragging, having DM need a cheeseburger isn't exactly high drama.

I'm enjoying the Aquaman/Mera developments, because I think Geoff Johns is mostly adding and enriching their past, not really changing anything. I'm fine with the deep sea couple getting a few more rogues added to their normal guest list.

I really like the Firestorm story. Jason and Ronnie are so different, but at their core they are both good guys. They deserve a chance to try and make their weird bond work.

The art in this issue was solid. The Firestorm sequence had fantastic detail, especially on Jason Rusch. I also loved how casual Martian Manhunter looks most of the time. For the last survivor of his race, he's a laid back dude!

Good

No comments: