Friday, July 16, 2010

Booster Gold #34

Neat! I bought the cover layout for this issue from Kevin Maguire in Charlotte this year!

I see what's going on here. Keith Giffen and JM DeMatteis are writing new Justice League International comics. This issue has Booster popping back in time, and immediately picked up by Blue Beetle as they embark on another scheme to make some money. After the job gets a bit more complicated, they rope in Mr. Miracle and Big Barda, making this a true JLI reunion. What absolutely stuns me is how well the writers are recapturing their old magic. Booster and Beetle are hilarious, and oh, how I missed Barda treating the two of them like idiots. I actually laughed out loud a few times while reading this!

The villain is another silly JLI-style villain like Manga Khan, complete with silly sidekick. I'm not complaining, I mean, who is reading this comic for high drama action?

Chris Batista and Keith Giffen are an odd mix on art, sometimes their styles just don't mesh very well. I think Batista's work looks a tad sharper on his own, so hopefully he'll get back to that soon.

I couldnt' be happier with this book. It makes me feel like I'm 13 again, which is about the highest praise I can give.

Excellent

1 comment:

Martin Gray said...

Another fantastic issue, I loved the JLI-style villain, the plot, the subplot, the characterisation, the art (yup, all of it!).