Monday, November 24, 2008

Superman & Batman vs. Vampires & Werewolves #1-3


I recognized Keven VanHook's name from the old Valiant days, but what really caught my eye in the solicits was Tom Mandrake drawing a book that featured horror creatures. Sure enough, we get lots of vampires and werewolves, and 3 issues in, we also have Batman and Superman. But we actually have a lot more. We've got mad scientists, lovecraft mythos monsters, Green Arrow, the Demon, Wonder Woman, Nightwing, and a pulpy but fun story. The silly title actually gives you fair warning what you are in for. Horror-themed fun. This has been such a strong story I'm going to pick up the eventual trade. This book is the DCU vs. monsters, and that's the type of non-continuity story that is fortunately beneath DC's editorial influence. You can tell right away that this is a different kind of book than the usual DC crapola these days.

Mandrake is possibly the best horror artist going right now. Sure Mignola and Corbin would give him a run, but I love the way Mandrake can blend super-heroics and horror. He's been doing it through a lot of books and he keeps up the nice stuff here. I'm really impressed by the 3 issues I've read. I had low expectations, and the book hugely surpassed them.

Good

No comments: