Thursday, November 13, 2008

Avengers/Invaders #5

The book is getting better. That’s damning with faint praise, but at least it is improving. The good: Cap and Iron Man’s little chat, Echo revealing that she can read lips through masks, and some of Spidey’s jokes. The bad: I’m not sure how I feel about SHIELD LMDs being compared to Jews in the holocaust. I’m pretty sure that is over the line. I would not have the nerve to publish something like that. I do like the idea of the Human Torch as some kind of messianic figure for the LMDs. An LMD uprising is always entertaining (see Bob Harras’ excellent Nick Fury vs. SHIELD), so that is a plotline I’m fine with following. I had gotten pretty tired of all the “they’re as bad as Nazi’s” stuff about the Mighty Avengers, it was a little much. There’s a lot less of that this issue, which goes a long way for its improvement.

Sadowski’s art has taken a nice turn while working on this series. I don’t remember his art being this painted-looking, but he can do it. His Avengers look good and no one seems off-model. I do wish I could see him drawing Hawkeye and not stupid Ronin. This isn’t a classic story by any means, but Sadowski’s art makes is a good looking one.

Fair

No comments: