Tuesday, October 6, 2009

R.E.B.E.L.S. #8

I don't like generic robots killing LEGION founder Stealth in a flashback, but I have got to have faith in Tony Bedard that he's not going to have that stick. Surely that character deserves a better send-off than a generic death to make Vril Dox seem like a colder jerk than he already was. I will admit between that and the hint that something is very different with Garv, I'm worried that Bedard is drastically wrecking the status quo of a bunch neat characters. Not many folks remember or like the old LEGION crew, I'm sure, but I was a huge fan. As for his work with the current cast, Bedard is doing a great job. The all-new, all-dangerous Omega Men are very cool. I love the idea of Starro's that only amp up power and mean tendencies while keeping their host self-aware. I wouldn't want that approach to be too widespread (for example, if the REBELS team got them) since it is part of what makes the Omega Men unique. The Omega Men need a gal on their team too. I would say someone like Maxima would fit nicely, but she's dead right now, right?

The REBELS team is a cool crew too. With folks popping up from all over the DCU's history, Lyrl Dox makes perfect sense to join. I love the idea of him being something of a wild jungle kid too, more his mother's son than his father's. That's a cool idea. Starro is still a fantastic, horrific villain. He's sets up a great combo of the face-huggers from Alien and zombies. This army of other-universe super-humans is cool too, since there is a chance to have dozens of new characters with different power sets interact with the DCU. Speaking of power-sets, I think the Prince Gavyn Starman needs to revert to his Will Payton persona and join up with the REBELS. They need an Earthman.

Andy Clarke's pencils are so wonderfully detailed; this book is a treat to read. I love his designs for the conquered alien metahumans. That scene with the Psions holding a starfish, with the tentacles whipping around, really gave me the creeps.

Good

No comments: