Sunday, October 4, 2009

Final Crisis Aftermath: Dance #2-5

I'm not sure anything planted in this series will ever impact the greater DCU, which is interesting considering this is a Final Crisis tie-in, and that was a line-wide event. The other problem is that Joe Casey still hasn't convinced me that I should like any of the Super Young Team. In fact, the coolest characters in the issues I've read are the Big Science Team. They are the senior Japanese hero squad, and they're pretty interesting. I would have preferred 6 issues about these guys than the fairly vapid Most Excellent Super Bat and his doofballs. I understand the purpose of this series is having the SYT graduate from frauds to heroes, but I just don't care to see most of them make the switch. I think the Aquazon and possibly the little alcoholic fairy-gal could fit in other places in the DCU, but I can't even remember the names of the speedster or Lantern Boy.

Rising Sun has morphed from a sad old has-been issue in issue 1 to a full-on villain in these two issues. It seems his Mind is no longer his own. That's a nice surprise appearance from a classic DCU villain. I'm actually surprised they'd have that villain show up here after his last appearance in 52. As always there are some great moments of Joe Casey dialogue that really make me want to like this. Casey's high-concept nonsense is as wonderful as it always is, but my lack of connection to the characters is killing my interest.

The art is wildly inconsistent. Chris Cross has been bouncing on and off the title, and his chapters are the strongest, of course. It seems like these Aftermath books are an afterthought to DC. This should have been held until Cross and Casey could have done the whole series and at least the top-notch creative team would be a draw for readers.

Average

No comments: