Saturday, October 3, 2009

Beta Ray Bill: Godhunters #1-3

I had pretty low hopes for this, but I'm glad I read it. Kieron Gillen's Phonogram had a great premise, but kind of lost me in the execution. His language was a bit stilted and just didn't read realistically. His work here is much more accessible. I guess it really must be a lot easier to write about cosmic horse-men rather than Brit Pop.

Gillen has Beta Ray Bill out for revenge. After realizing that Korbin (Bill's homeworld) was dinner for Galactus, Bill dedicates himself to taking out the elder space-god. Bill gets some intel from Agent Brand and S.W.O.R.D. Gillen has a good handle on Brand, she's very likeable in her few appearances and she will definitely shine in the new S.W.O.R.D. ongoing Gillen has coming up. Bill tracks down Galactus to the I'Than Seclusion, a group of planets settled by a pacifist race that seems to be easy pickings for Galactus. The one complicating factor is that the I'Than had genetically modified themselves to remove their most warlike tendencies to spread peace in their sector of space, with Galactus' arrival, their warriors put on helmets that re-activate these primal, violent tendencies, turning the pacifists into powerful warriors. I really dug the time and development spent on the supporting race of the I'Than, I'd love to see them again in other comics. Bill and the I'Than interact with both Galactus' current heralds, Silver Surfer and Stardust. Silver Surfer seems a bit nicer and approachable than he did in his recent Nova appearance. Maybe the Surfer thinks of Bill as more of a peer than he does Nova. Eventually, Bill decides that he can't go through with his death-threat for Galactus since the big G's death would cause a calamity that would devastate the universe. So Bill ends up saving Galactus from the I'Than. As a reward, Galactus resurrects one Korbanite, so Bill is no longer alone. She's a gal, so let's hope she gets along with Bill, they have some Adam & Eve-ing to do.

Kano's art in the three issues is fantastic. The cosmic battles are stunning in their scope and presentation. Some of the hammer-blows that Bill lays into the Surfer and Stardust are just awesome. The I'Than have an interesting, unique look.

This series bodes well for Gillen's upcoming run on Thor. I've already added it to my sublist.

Good

No comments: