Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Justice League: Cry for Justice #4

This issue was markedly less bad than the 3 preceding it. It wasn't great by any means, but it wasn't awful either. James Robinson's League is actually starting to be an interesting comic now that he's breaking up the love fest between Green Lantern and Green Arrow. With Green Arrow starting to break off from the insane torturing of Ray Palmer, I find myself liking GA best of the core players in this series. Robinson had stated that this series would give us a personality for Ray Palmer, but I think that might actually be a bad thing. I hate Ray Palmer. He lashes out at GA saying "we may have been teammates but we were never friends." C'mon, why all the hate, Ray? Robinson is also spending a little time fleshing out Supergirl and Shazam. While I'm not keen on Supergirl being all head-over-heels for Shazam, I do like the idea of the two junior team members gravitating towards each other.

Mikaal Tomas and Congorilla get a little face time here too as they atomize two low-level villains. If Robinson keeps up this pace, I don't think there will be too many characters left in the DCU by the time this series is over. The body count in this series is ridiculous and unnecessary. I'm intrigued to see Jay Garrick playing such a big role in this story. I wonder if there is any chance that Garrick is the Flash that Robinson will use in his upcoming JLA run?

The painted art by Mauro Cascioli is striking once again. He definitely seem to enjoy drawing Supergirl's chest (and he also gives Miss Martian a little upskirt shot) but overall the art is dramatic. I might argue too dramatic and important-feeling for a JLA story, but he's not bad.

Average

No comments: