Monday, October 5, 2009

Dark Reign: Lethal Legion #3

This wrapped up nicely. Frank Tieri does his best work with scumbags, so this series focusing on the Lethal Legion has been right up his alley. The final issue puts all the cards on the table, revealing who the Legion's traitor was, while also giving us some nice character moments for Norman Osborn and the Grey Gargoyle. I don't want to spoil everything, but I will say I'm looking forward to the next confrontation between the Williams brothers. I really enjoyed how Tieri gave us glimpses into that relationship. The two guys aren't best friends, but heaven forbid you cross them. Mr. Hyde did while they carried out the Legion's big scheme, and Wonder Man and the Reaper beat the crap out of him.

One complaint I have about the issue is that Mr. Hyde is guilty of two murders, a rape, and a maiming all within one day. It is hard to let someone that evil live, and if all comic villains start being so heinous, I'm not sure there is any viable alternative to the Punisher's approach. The other villains acted much more in line with what I want from my super-criminal characters.

Mateus Santolouco's art worked very nicely for all the dark elements of the story. His take on Wonder Man wasn't quite as strong. Wonder Man looked as grimy as the surrounding story elements, I almost think the darkening of an Avenger would have been more powerful if WM had looked a little more "classic" in this dark tale.

Good

No comments: