Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Deadpool: Merc with a Mouth #4

I'm OD'ing on Deadpool. After reading issue 900 last month, I just can't take any more of this guy. I like the character, but his wacky humor gets grating mighty quick. This has always been the weakest of his series anyway. Victor Gischler's zany story does't really lend itself to anything other than comedy, and as I said, that isn't enough to keep me interested in the ol' merc with a mouth. Heck, with Headpool (an alternate universe's zombie Deadpool head) as a supporting character, I have to deal with twice as much DP in just this one book! The plot hasn't really moved on a lot, the AIM scientist and the DP's escape the Savage Land, but are still in the sights of AIM. Part of the lack of danger comes from the lack of a named or even threatening villain. I'm not concerned for any of the main characters.

Bong Dazo's cartoony art is a perfect fit for this series. He's got a good handle on the frenetic action and larger-than-life characters. I'm not a huge fan of his work, but I can't argue that he's delivering the right tone for the book.

Average

No comments: